Thursday, January 15, 2009

World of Wonders


Remember what life was like when it was all brand new? The eyes of a child see wonders that escape the gaze of jaded adults. When was the last time the prismatic light of a soap bubble gave you pause, or a glimpse of a firefly on a warm, summer night quickened your pulse? No, the majority of us have somehow lost our sense of awe. Is it any surprise, then, that the mystery and majesty of Christ's incarnation often fails to truly touch our souls, or that we prefer to examine the complexities of God's creations with the cold eye of science rather than with a heart open to wonder?

Oh, to be able to recapture that childlike spirit, to be able to really FEEL again the excitement of a new discovery like the young do in our faith in Christ. What a change would come to the way we practice and present our Christianity in the world.

May our prayers have the heartfelt passion of the words of Thomas Traherne as he reflected on the gift of the Holy Spirit to the Apostles at Pentecost:

Breathe upon me, inspire me, quicken me, illuminate me, enflame me, fill me with the Spirit of God; that I may overflow with praises and thanksgivings as they did. Fill me with the riches of Thy glory, that Christ may dwell in my heart by faith, that I being rooted and grounded in Love may speak the wonderful Works of God. Let me be alive unto them: let me see them all, let me feel them all, let me enjoy them all: that I may admire the greatness of Thy love unto my soul, and rejoice in communion with Thee for evermore.

--from Centuries of Meditations by Thomas Traherne

1 comments:

John Roper said...

Having some problems with the comments feature.

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template