Friday, November 21, 2008

Wispy Wanderers

I saw my breath this morning, not an uncommon occurrence here in late November. The vapor from my mouth, though, reminds me of a couple of things. First, what we say has substance and form, and whether we can see it or not our speech has the power to impact others as surely as a physical object. True, mundane phrases like "Where's the newspaper?" may not have a profound effect on our listeners, but an "I love you, kid" to your six-year-old just might have a shelf-life longer than you have.

The second thing the vapor brings to mind is how short our lives are here on earth. From an eternal perspective we have a few seconds, at most, to swirl in the air and hopefully provide a bit of warmth to those around us before we fade out of this world. Our brief existence would seem pretty pointless if we didn't know from scripture that we have a loving Father who cares for and values us anyway, and has a heavenly home for us "wispy wanderers." One of the finest praise songs that I've encountered that touches on this is by Robin Mark. Enjoy the music video of his song below.



Robin Mark - Be Unto Your Name

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Hi Mr. Roper ~ Glad you mentioned your blog on FB; I enjoyed hearing your thoughts on the vapors of life, and I'll continue to browse through past posts. I'm at www.treasuredchapters.blogspot.com if you ever want to visit.

Blessings,
Kathleen

John Roper said...

Thanks for the comment,Kathleen. Your blog is simply beautiful, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Hi John and Joyce,
Thank you for the update and the link. I found the link in the email message didn't work, but when I did a copy/paste it worked fine.

It is always good to remember that life is a vapor; we are here today and gone tomorrow.
Blessings to you both and wisdom as you continue to serve the Master.
Betty Bengtson

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template