Thursday, February 4, 2010

Book Review: The Word of Promise New Testament


I've always had a distrust for audio books, and even more so when it comes to an audio version of the Bible. I'm always afraid that the readers will either under or over dramatize the story, leave out key parts or scenes, and generally make a hash of something that has touched my heart so much in print. Therefore, what a pleasant surprise it was to experience The Word of Promise New Testament from Thomas Nelson.

The Word comes alive in this reading of the New King James Version, primarily due to the talents of some of the top voice actors in the business. The letters of Paul (read by Stacy Keach), for example, come across as personal and yet universally authoritative as they were meant to be. The addition of background music and sounds was initially a worry for me, but by keeping the volume low and using these elements sparingly, their inclusion enhances rather than distracts from the spoken word.

I have listened to other audio versions of the Bible, but I have to say that, so far, this is my favorite one of the lot. Perfect for commuting to work or relaxing in front of the fire at home, this set is highly recommended.



Note: This audio Bible was received as a complimentary copy from Thomas Nelson Publishers for the purpose of providing an unbiased review. This note is posted to meet new Federal Trade Commission regulations regarding product endorsements.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi John,

Happy New Year to you! I trust you are having an enjoyable day. My name is Todd Stepp and I work for BooksChristian.com, here in Franklin, TN. We are a Christian owned & operated company that sells over 200,000 Christian products.

I have visited soulstrokes.blogspot.com
and have noticed that you post book reviews on your blog. I wanted to see if you would be interested in partnering with us, enabling visitors to your blog to purchase books that you review, as well as other books that you may suggest to them (books of the day etc.). In return we would pay you 9% on every sale made. There is very little work that would need to be done on your end, as we provide all the tools to create links and codes that you can post on your blog.

I would love to discuss this further with you at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,

Todd Stepp

--
todd stepp
bookschristian
e: todd.stepp@bookschristian.com
p: 615.497.9808
aim: mctoddstepp

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template